Apprenticeship case studies
Apprenticeships are a fantastic route into the food industry which is crying out for managers, engineers, technicians and food scientists.
An apprenticeship enables you to learn as well as earn and gives you
an opportunity to obtain hands-on relevant training.
Hear about the experiences of apprentices currently working in the food and
drink manufacturing sector:
- Joe Breen, Apprentice Process Operator - Cargill
Joe is part of a team of three operators with responsibility for maintaining
the effective running of the flour mill over a twelve hour shift.
- Lydia Cebreiro, Recruitment coordinator - Nestlé UK & Ireland
Lydia joined Nestlé in 2011 on its HR Apprenticeship Programme.
- Calum Marnock, Confectionery Apprentice - Mondeléz
Calum was the winner of the industry's Community Partnership Award in 2011.
- Sam Roberts, Apprentice Engineer, Unilever - and FDF Apprentice of the Year 2012
Sam is a fourth year apprentice engineer, based at Unilever's Trafford Park
manufacturing site – the home of PG Tips, Scottish and Lyon's tea.
- Jamie McGowan, Multi-skilled apprentice - Kraft Foods
Jamie's apprenticeship provides him with a lot of training including
mechanical and electrical.
- Sam Robinson, Third year multi-skilled apprentice - Kraft Foods
Sam has recently completed a Mechanical NVQ Level 3 and an ONC certificate
and is now working towards completing an HNC.
- Edward Haylock, Multi-skilled engineer - British Sugar
Edward is part of the maintenance team at the Wissington factory mainly based
the electrical engineering department.
- Daniel Cornish, Multi-skilled engineer - General Mills
Daniel is a qualified electrician and is now completing a mechanical
He has worked in all areas of the engineering work force.
- John Marshall, Second year engineering apprentice - General Mills
John spent his first year in the machine shop learning how machinery goes
concept to design and has now transferred to electrical, learning about
programming and wiring.
- John Ravenscroft, Third year multi-skilled engineer apprentice - Kraft Foods
John has completed the first 2 years of his apprenticeship and is am looking
to further his education with a foundation degree.
- Robert Greatrex, Apprentice plant technician - Nestlé UK & Ireland
Robert joined Nestlé UK & Ireland in 2009 on its Engineering Apprenticeship
Programme as an Apprentice Plant Technician.
- Alice Lawson, Sugar confectionary apprentice - Kraft Foods
So far in her apprenticeship, Alice has been learning the manufacturing
of Liquorice Allsorts.
- Marc O'Connor, Manufacturing confectionery apprentice - Kraft Foods
Marc is to learning as many aspects of the production environment from waste
management to operating machines.
More about the FDF careers campaign
Last reviewed: 10 Dec 2012