Cereals and Bakery 2008
Total UK exports of cereals and bakery products amounted to £1,882.4m in 2008,
up 27.7% over the previous year.
Source: Leatherhead Food International
Added value cereal and bakery products exports
- British breakfast cereal exports rising 12.5% in 2008 to £352.9m, led by 14.9% growth to no.1 market
Ireland (now worth £103.2m), as well as strong growth of 60.2% to Germany
£12.8m), and 54.3% growth to Sweden (worth £8.6m).
- Sweet biscuits were up 15.3% to £203.9m with exports to the leading Irish market up 7.8% to
£75m, as well as the 4th, 5th and 6th placed markets of Canada, Australia and
Netherlands also all seeing solid growth of 35.7%, 38.9% and 26.7%
- Savoury biscuits exports grew 14.3% to £31.6m, the top 3 markets all performing well: +17.5% US,
+15.7% Ireland, and +25.9% Canada.
- Cakes exports at £156.5m were +12.0% over 2007. Ireland now accounts for 57.0% of
exports but saw only 5.8% growth in 2008. Growth to 2nd and 3rd placed the
Netherlands and France was much higher at 25.5% and 34.7% respectively.
- Bread exports jumped 24.5% to £93.0m, with strong growth to the Netherlands at +69.7%
and Portugal at +42.7%.
Research carried out by Leatherhead Food International for the Food and Drink
Federation (June 2009)
Last reviewed: 03 Jun 2009