27 January 2022
10:00 - 15:00
Tariff codes are product-specific codes that are used to classify all traded goods. Harmonised System (HS) codes are an international system of tariff codes used globally. The Government uses tariff codes to track trade flows and to charge the correct tariffs and duties on products. It is a legal obligation for importers and exporters to declare the correct tariff code when trading internationally.
Registration for this course has now closed.
Understanding how to identify and establish the correct codes will make completing your import documentation easier and crucially help ensure no unwanted and potentially costly surprises later in audits undertaken by HMRC or overseas customs authorities.
You’ll leave with a clear understanding of:
- An introduction to the Tariff Codes volumes I-III
- How to navigate the tariff
- How a tariff code attracts a duty
- Countervailing, anti-dumping and quotas
- Recording the declared originating papers
About your instructor:
Lesley Batchelor OBE, is a champion of UK exporters, with a powerful track record in enhancing the international performance of hundreds of businesses. From a blue-chip background, she worked as director general of the Institute of Export (IOE) for 12 years promoting professionalism and the need for qualifications and support for businesses.
- Co-Chair of the Bribery Act 2010 Scrutiny expert panel working with DFID and the Government.
- Anti-corruption Champion
- IP Auditing international marketing
- Advising on APPG Advisory Panels on Trade & Investment and Manufacturing and Select Committees supporting SMEs
- ICC/WTO MSME trade negotiation.
- ICC WTO Alliance & Trade & Investment Committee.
Lesley now runs Exportbootcamps.com an ICC and ILM accredited training company with a real difference. Using years of experience teaching and training businesses owners and managers to trade competently internationally, the BootCamps approach guarantees engagement and results.
She also acts as a board advisor to Bridgehead International Agency and Open Borders Direct. With invaluable expertise in intellectual property, global licensing and marketing Lesley was awarded CBI Real Business First Woman in Business Services and CEO of the year from Trade Association Congress in 2015.
Lesley is often sought out for comment on Brexit and international trade issues, writing thought leadership pieces for many journals, TV and radio stations.