Three Scottish companies shortlisted for FDF Awards
28 July 2022
Three of Scotland’s leading food and drink manufacturers have been nominated for the FDF Awards 2022, which celebrate exceptional talent, excellence and innovation in the industry, the Food and Drink Federation (FDF) has announced.
Nairn’s Oatcakes has been nominated for Exporter of the Year and Blackthorn Salt for Emerging Business. Sutherlands of Portsoy is shortlisted for two awards - Product Innovation for their Coffee Smoked, and Sustainable Packaging Initiative for their QuadFresH.
This year’s nominees, chosen by an esteemed panel of judges, range from emerging SMEs to companies pursuing ground-breaking initiatives and a range of committed and exceptional industry employees.
Hosted by celebrity restaurant critic Jay Rayner, the winners will be announced on Thursday 15 September 2022 at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London.
Chief Executive Officer of Food and Drink Federation Scotland, David Thomson said:
“I am delighted to see iconic Scottish food and drink brands shortlisted for these important awards.
“Nairn’s has seen a strong increase in their export sales over the last 10 years with exports a key part of their long-term growth strategy. While small business Sutherlands of Portsoy is finding innovative ways to become more sustainable such as using coffee waste to smoke their salmon and looking at different packaging options for their products. It is encouraging to see Blackthorn Salt which was set up in 2020 already experiencing strong growth.
“This shows the ambition of Scotland’s food and drink businesses and the fact we punch well above our weight for such a small nation. I wish these businesses all the best on the night!”
Chief Executive of the Food and Drink Federation, Karen Betts OBE said:
“This year’s awards bring together over 200 nominees across 19 categories, showcasing the very best of our industry. The judges had an invidious task in choosing winners from an extremely strong field – from companies driving new sustainability initiatives to championing employee wellbeing, as well as embracing new technologies and supporting cutting-edge skills development in their teams.
“The food and drink sector is based within communities right across the UK’s nations and regions, and these awards really demonstrate how our great companies continue to bring great products to consumers in challenging times. Good luck to all the brilliant nominees!”
If you would like to attend the event, you can purchase tickets here.
For more information or for media opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 07508 303 736.
- Blackthorn Salt
- Cornish Flapjack Shack
- Heura Foods
- Tasty Mates
Exporter of the Year - sponsored by 4C
- Belvoir Farm Drinks Ltd
- British Corner Shop
- Nasco UK Ltd
- Ramsden International
- Symington's Ltd
Product Innovation - sponsored by Clarke Energy
- apetito & Wiltshire Farm Foods - Finger Foods Bites: the future of Dementia-friendly dining
- Meatless Farm - Plant-Based Chicken Breast
- Premier Foods - Saxa Salt Sprays: changing the way we use and think about salt
- Simply Doughnuts Limited - Development of fresh, long shelf-life doughnuts for retailers and wholesalers
- Sutherlands of Portsoy - Coffee Smoked
- THIS™ - Fat 2.0
Sustainable Packaging Initiative - sponsored by Water Plus
- apetito Ltd - Boomerang: a first for large-scale closed loop recycling
- Ellers Farm Distillery - Dutch Barn Orchard Vodka - Amber Bottle Project
- Kingsmill - Bread bags recycled content trial
- Laithwaites Wine - Organic w/o Frappato in 100% post-consumer recycled ‘wild’ glass bottle
- Nestlé UK & Ireland - SMARTIES transition from plastic to paper packaging
- PepsiCo UK&I - Multi-pack Crisps Direct to carton
- Sutherlands of Portsoy – QuadFresH
Notes for editors:
- Food and Drink Federation (FDF) Scotland is a division of the FDF - the voice of the food and drink manufacturing industry – the UK's largest manufacturing sector. For more information about FDF Scotland and the industry we represent visit our website.
- A full list of the FDF Awards 2022 finalists are available on the FDF website.