UK Food and Drink Export Performance
UK food and drink export statistics for 2015
In this report:
- Exports fell 4.4% to £12.3bn.
- Exports to non-EU markets (-1.5%) fared better than EU
markets (-5.5%), pushing the non-EU share up to 27.8%.
- Exports of value added goods saw growth of 0.9%, the
15th year of consecutive growth.
- Including alcoholic drinks, food and drink exports were
£18.2bn, a fall for a second year, (-3.7%).
- Exports of whisky (the UK's largest food and drink export) were down 4.3% at
- The food and non-alcoholic drink trade deficit increased
(1.6%) to £22.8bn.
View key Indicators dataset of the above image
What happened throughout 2015
- The UK's economy grew by 2.2% in 2015.
- GDP increased by 1.8% across the EU28.
- Food and non-alcoholic drink exports were stronger at the
end of the year, with Q4 2015 up 5.1% on Q1 2015.
- Despite exports doing better in the second half of the year,
Q4 2015 was down 3.5% on Q4 2014.
- This was largely as a result of the strength of the pound,
making UK exports to Euro countries more expensive.
- Alongside the strong pound, a sharp fall in the price of oil
reduced the price of imports, limiting impacts of declining
exports on the trade balance.
Value added in focus
- FDF's industry ambition is to grow exports of value added food and non-alcoholic
drink by a third, from a 2014 baseline, reaching £6bn by 2020.
- The growth seen in 2015 is slightly below the overall target, but non-EU exports
remain on the projected growth path.
- Exports of value added products saw continued growth in
2015 to £4.63bn (+0.9%), bucking the overall trend.
- The top 5 best performing categories saw combined growth of
£66.5m on 2014 (+3.3%) led by growth in food preparations,
breads, pastries, cakes and puddings and sweet biscuits.
- Value added products saw strong growth to non-EU countries
(+6.4%) to the value £1.43bn
- EU accounted for 69% of value added exports, totalling
£3.21bn, a slight fall on 2014 (-1.3%)
- The increase in exports of value added products reflects an
upward trend in exports of finished UK manufactured goods
(+2.2%) on 2014.
View value added goods dataset of the above image
See Value Added in detail
Top Products by Sector
View top products dataset of the above image
Top 10 EU and Non-EU markets
View top 10 EU markets dataset of the above image
View top 10 Non-EU markets dataset of the above image
Top 10 value gains by product and market
View top 10 value gains by product and market
Last reviewed: 02 Mar 2016