UK Food and Drink Export Performance
UK food and drink export statistics for 2015
In this report:
- Value of exports sales shrank by 5.3% in H1 of 2015 compared to the previous
year, reaching a total of £6bn.
- Value of exports to non-EU markets improved +1%, increasing the non-EU share of
exports by 1.7 percentage points.
- Exports to EU 28 fell -7.5%, reflected in a smaller share of exports.
- Including alcoholic drinks, total food and drink exports for H1 2015 reached
£8.6bn, down 4.8% on 2014.
- Exports of whisky (the UK's largest food and drink export) were down 4.3% at
- The food and non-alcoholic drink trade deficit increased by 1.1% to
£11.4bn for the half year.
- The H1 figures are often not as strong as H2 and while the value of exports has
fallen slightly in H1 2015, food and non-alcoholic drink exports are still
performing above pre-recession levels.
View key Indicators dataset of the above image
What happened in H1?
- GDP is estimated to have increased by 0.7% in Q2 2015 compared with growth of
0.4% in Q1 2015.
- There has been a rise in Sterling of 15% over the last two years against a
basket of currencies, especially the sharply depreciated Euro (€1 down
£0.86 to £0.71 since August 2013). As a result, the cost of
the UK's biggest Eurozone partners has increased significantly and UK exports
have become less competitive. At the same time USD remains comparatively strong
after a fall in 2014.
- Access to non-EU markets has opened up due to lower energy prices resulting in
lower operating costs for businesses and potential reductions in shipping costs
Value added up globally
- Exports of Value Added goods saw slight growth of 0.9% in H1 2015 compared to
the same period in 2014, achieving exports value of £1.98bn.
- Growth of Value Added Goods is reflected in both EU and non-EU markets, with EU
taking the larger share of £1.45bn in H1 2015.
- In Value Added Goods there was a 40% increase in exports of tomato ketchup
(worth +£3.2m) and Bread, Pastry & Cakes were also up +£6.9m.
View Value Added Goods dataset of the above image
Top Product Categories
View Top Product Categories dataset of the above image
Top 20 markets
Exports by sector
View Exports by Sector dataset of the above image
Going up and down
View dataset of the above image
Last reviewed: 09 Dec 2015